Hi everyone,
I'm trying to upgrade one of my projects from Next.js 16.2.12 to 16.3, and I've run into what appears to be a Bun runtime compatibility issue on Vercel.
My setup
- Next.js 16.3
- Bun runtime (
bun --bun next build) - Vercel currently uses Bun 1.3.12
- My local machine uses Bun 1.3.14
What happens

On Vercel, the build compiles successfully and TypeScript completes successfully, but it fails during the "Collecting page data" step with the following error:
Error: Failed to load external module next/dist/compiled/next-server/app-page-turbo.runtime.prod.js:TypeError: Expected CommonJS module to have a function wrapper.If you weren't messing around with Bun's internals, this is a bug in Bun.What I've tested
I wanted to make sure this wasn't caused by my own project, so I tried several things:
- My project builds successfully on Next.js 16.2.12.
- On my local machine with Bun 1.3.14, everything works correctly:
bun run devbun run buildbun run start
- I also created a brand new Next.js 16.3 project from scratch, enabled the Bun runtime (
bun --bun next build), and I was able to reproduce the same issue on Vercel.
Because of that, I'm wondering if this is related to the Bun version currently used by Vercel rather than to my application itself.
Has anyone else experienced this after upgrading to Next.js 16.3?
Is there currently any way to use a newer Bun version (such as 1.3.14) on Vercel, or is the runtime version fixed until Vercel updates it?
I'll attach the build logs and screenshots below.
Thanks!