Hi Sundaramishacbe,
For a multi-year freeze, I would not plan around a Next.js 17 release date unless the Next.js team publishes one. The public support policy currently lists 16.x as Active LTS and 15.x as Maintenance LTS.
For 15.x, Maintenance LTS means critical bug fixes and essential security updates only. The policy also says each major remains in Maintenance LTS for two years following the initial release, so with 15.x released on Oct. 21, 2024, I’d plan as if Oct. 21, 2026 is the end of normal support for 15.x unless that policy changes.
There is a note that older/out-of-policy versions may be patched in rare circumstances depending on severity, but I would not use that as a roadmap assumption.
Given your project may be placed on hold for several years, Option B seems safer: upgrade to Next.js 16 while you still have engineering capacity, test it properly, and freeze on the newer supported line rather than freezing close to the end of 15.x support.
If you cannot move to 16 immediately, I’d at least upgrade from 15.3.9 to the latest 15.x Maintenance LTS patch and document that a major upgrade will still be needed before/around Oct. 2026.
The support policy page is here:
https://nextjs.org/support-policy