I feel like something’s changed with Vercel and how they are charging users. When they switched LLM selection to Max/Pro/Mini etc, I burned through the tokens in Max with maybe 20 prompts. Good education to learn when to use Max, Pro, Mini etc.
Billing Issues
Today I received an auto-recharge charge of ~$45 which I never signed up for. I never do auto-recharge so I always get alerts when I run out of cash/tokens/credits etc and top up accordingly. I turned auto-recharge off.
Account Confusion
Vercel billing was already confusing and I think this is by intent. I’m on v0 ‘Premium’ but my Vercel account is on standard (?). If I upgrade my Vercel account, I can, for example, run more than one of their internal cron jobs and many other things apparently.
Even though I pay for v0 premium, I still get hit with LLM charges and I have no idea why I would want to upgrade my rote Vercel account as I’m an individual designer, no team.
Cost Comparison
Vercel is becoming exceptionally overpriced vs Cursor/Copilot/Codex + your LLM of choice (BYO). More importantly, the company’s inability to present clear pricing options is disappointing. It is 100% intentional, in my opinion, to NOT present clear pricing options and deliberately meant to confuse the user.
Overall, my Vercel charges are ~$100 in the last week and that’s absolutely absurd for the amount of work I’m doing with it.
Would love to hear other opinions 